Thursday, July 13, 2006

Good Manners: World of Courtesy: Ranking of 35 Cities

Good Manners: World of Courtesy: Ranking of 35 Cities

My answer to Reader's Digest and their publishers/editors/writers and all those who make money out of it.

---

Dear RD team of Editors,

Since I was a child, I was told and reminded to read your publication and I sincerely did.

I have no regrets for that and thank you for teaching me a lot. One of things that has made me what I am, is reading your publication.

But with your article judging Bombay(Mumbai) as the rudest city, as shattered my sheer trust and belief in you. I have started doubting your genuine journalistic and humane side in publication. It really sounded like one of the christian fundamentalist statement. A statement that comes from a radical like Pat Robertson or Bill O'Reily.

What do you know about Mumbai? Have you ever lived in the city? Is just a silly sample test of random shop to see that if they match 'YOUR' defination of civility?

Mumbai still has lesser crime per 1000 than New York and Sao Paulo or many other cities listed better than Mumbai. Just because crimes like mugging and attempted rapes are no more reported in media of western (read your) world does not mean New York or any other city is better and more civil than Mumbai.

I wish you one of you was caught in carnage of tropical rain that bring the entire city of Mumbai to stand still. Then you would have seen the how rude Mumbaikar is. I am sure you would never ever even imagine to come up with such silly survey in the first place.

I hope all of you would like to maintain the true tradition and reputation of readers digest and may you have strength to give a open declaration and apology to people of Mumbai.

If you won't, well as typical Mumbaikar would do, they will forgive you. At the same time they will also froget you for ever. Coming generation of Mumbai and Inidia, will not know what was Reader's Digest.

I am sure you don't wish to be remembered as “once upon a long time ago” publication. This is in no way a threat or demonstration of arrogance. It is just simply worded honest and cut to chase opinion.

One thing for sure, I will not ever read 'Reader's Digest' ever again. At the same time will not consider the information presented as unbiased or trust worthy. I will always doubt the intention with which it is published.

Thank you for shaking the foundation and faith of a few thousand people who grew with the legend of indomitable 'Reader's Digest'. You just insulted those who respected you.

With pain and despair,

A former reader.
---

Hope they read this.

No comments: